This is a quick interview with Don Hanson to learn some tidbits about him in a short amount of time. Don Hanson is a hobby blacksmith who lives in Colorado Springs, CO. He is a retired Fiber Optics Project Manager and has been blacksmithing since 2001. Don designs and forges architectural ironwork, home furnishings, and roses for a local festival called Territory Days.
If you want to hear more from Don Hanson, you can listen to our in-depth interview, that will soon be available on the BlacksmitHER.com podcast page.
Don Hanson Tidbits in this Episode:
- Don performs demonstrations every year at the Territory Days Festival in Old Colorado City. In the podcast, he talks about how demonstrating is valuable to perfecting your techniques.
- He has picked up many of his tongs at flea markets and modified them.
- His favorite tool a Clay Spencer designed treadle hammer that he built in a Rocky Mountain Smiths workshop.
- Don doesn’t listen to music while he works. He likes to listen to the equipment running so he can be aware of problems that may arise.
- He would love to spend a day working with and learning from Francis Whitaker; a very accomplished master blacksmith here in the US.
- A blacksmithing book Don recommends is the “New Edge of the Anvil”, which is available on the SkipJack/Astragal Press website here, http://www.chesterbookco.com/new_edge_anvil_AP-SJ092.htm
Don Hanson Links:
Well, he doesn’t have any – he spends very little time on the computer.
Thank you to today’s sponsor: Nimba Anvils, www.nimbaanvils.com
If you enjoyed this episode, I would love it if you would support the show by:
- telling your friends.
- sharing this episode using the social sharing buttons.
- subscribing to the show and rate and review in iTunes. Not sure how? Watch this short video tutorial http://youtu.be/rq4OCyRGjHc?list=UUH3MfNZLXlKgionAs6kMT_Q
- subscribing to the show in Stitcher, http://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=54499&refid=stpr
Thanks so much for your support!