This is a quick interview with Mary Hackett to learn some juicy tidbits about her in a short amount of time. Mary Hackett is a PhD candidate in Fine Arts at RMIT University which is the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology. She is examining and mapping the physical forces involved in blacksmithing processes through sculptural practices. She is also a co-founder of Blacksmith Doris, a blacksmithing group just for women in Melbourne Australia (“Doris” is an old British slang expression for a plain woman). Blacksmith Doris has been operating as a “side” group that is part of the Australian Blacksmiths Association (the Victoria chapter) for the past five years and aims to give women a place to learn and practice blacksmithing in an all-female environment.
What Juicy tidbits are they?
- When is the most creative time of day for her? The afternoon, when she has a clear head.
- What compliment does she get the most? That her art looks like it’s been dug up from the ground…and yes, she likes that compliment!
- What is the first thing she does when she gets into her shop? She turns the radio on and listens to “talk back” radio (Australian term for talk radio!).
- What blacksmith (dead or alive) would she like to spend a day with? Mary would like to be with our early ancestors when they were first learning to work with iron and learning how to make pig iron.
- How does she keep track of time when working on her blacksmithing projects? I love this answer! Instead of writing down the time it took to make something, she writes what she is doing, thinking and feeling when she was working the steel.
Mary Hackett’s Links:
Mary’s Website – http://maryjhackett.blogspot.com.au/
Blacksmith Doris website – http://blacksmithdoriswomenblacksmiths.blogspot.com/
Australian Blacksmith Association (Vic) Inc – http://www.abavic.org.au/
A Big Thank You to today’s sponsor – Nimba Anvils, http://www.nimbaanvils.com/
If you enjoyed this episode, I would love it if you would support the show by:
- telling your friends.
- sharing this episode using the social sharing buttons below.
- subscribing to the show and leaving a rating and review in iTunes. Not sure how? Just follow these simple steps here or watch the short video tutorial, http://youtu.be/rq4OCyRGjHc?list=UUH3MfNZLXlKgionAs6kMT_Q
- subscribing to the show in Stitcher, http://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=54499&refid=stpr
Thanks so much for your support!