Today is episode # 91 and we’re catchin up with Toby Druce again for the third time in his 15 week artist blacksmith program at Fleming college. If you recall, Toby Druce made a mid-life career change to become a blacksmith. He is from the Toronto area in Ontario Canada and has been a social worker with the City of Toronto for the past 29 years. He decided to change career paths and learn to become a blacksmith by attending the Fleming College Blacksmith Program.
What We Talked About
- We talk about his final project and how far along he is with it, the design changed from his earlier thoughts of incorporating a compass rose.
- Last time we spoke Toby successfully completed his first forge weld so I asked to see how this technique is going for him.
- There were 15 students in the class with an age range from 17 to 57 years old and one has left the program.
- Along with the final project, each student will also have to show 8 different completed projects. Toby tells us everything that he has made so far, a garden hat with a ribbon, 3 coat racks, a human sculpture, some chisels and a nouveau duck.
- Toby is still looking to apprentice with a local Toronto blacksmith business.
- Fleming College Artist blacksmith program – http://flemingcollege.ca/programs/artist-blacksmith/courses
A Big Thank You to today’s sponsor ? Fleming College
If you enjoyed this episode, I would love it if you would support the show by:
- telling your friends.
- sharing this episode using the social sharing buttons below.
- subscribing to the show and leaving a rating and review in iTunes. Not sure how? Just follow these simple steps here or watch the short video tutorial, http://youtu.be/rq4OCyRGjHc?list=UUH3MfNZLXlKgionAs6kMT_Q
- subscribing to the show in Stitcher, http://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=54499&refid=stpr
Thanks so much for your support!