Colleen du Pon is a transplanted Canadian now living in Bridport, West Dorset, England. Working as an Artist Blacksmith and Metal Sculptor, she loves the romantic, physical and elemental processes in blacksmithing and produces a wide range of work, from functional Homewares to Sculpture and Architectural work, blending forging by hand, hammer and anvil, with contemporary metalworking techniques to create works in mild steel. Natural growths and forms, organic and dynamic, and mythological symbolism are all suggested in her unique way of presenting figurative and abstract forms in steel. She earned a BA in Silversmithing and Metalwork at Camberwell College of Arts in London. Upon graduation in 2002, she was awarded the Bruce Church Travel Scholarship and travelled extensively, working directly with nomadic Blacksmiths in India. Colleen’s fascination for aesthetics, the beauty of nature, flora and fauna, are reflected in her diverse range of work.
Website – www.colleendupon.co.uk
Twitter – @ColleenduPon
Facebook – Facebook Page
Etsy page – Artisan Ironwork
In this episode we talk about:
- Colleen’s experience and sales at her weekly public market booth in Bridport, Dorset, England
- pricing for the public
- Educating the public on what goes into the finished product – Price tag may include this verbiage “$150 ** includes fuel, tools, years if training, material, concept creation, labor and a little extra to keep food on the table”
- The “Jurassic Coast” has fossils and Colleen has her own steel version of an ammonite
- Her travels in India and blacksmithing with a nomadic tribe for 6 months
- Her favorite tool??? Her Shipwrights swage block
- Her top 3 Business strategies
- Esty tips from her Esty store
If you enjoyed this episode, I would love it if you would support the show by:
- telling your friends.
- sharing this episode using the social sharing buttons below.
- subscribing to the show and leaving a rating and review in iTunes. Not sure how? Just follow these simple steps here or watch the short video tutorial.
- subscribing to the show in Stitcher.
- subscribing to the show in RSS.
Where can you listen to the BlacksmitHER Radio podcast?
- Here on the website podcast page
- iTunes click here, be sure to subscribe so you don’t miss any episodes!
- Stitcher – for android phones – click here