Monica Coyne is an artist blacksmith who lives and works in California. Working closely with a wide-range of clients, she produces exclusive, timeless pieces for the home, garden and business.
What We Talked About
- Monica’s first taste of blacksmithing started by answering an ad in the paper that was looking for an apprentice welder in her town of Ettersberg, CA for a gate fabrication shop, she was 44 at the time.
- She then sought out opportunities to learn and apprentice with experienced blacksmiths such as Toby Hickman, Mark Aspery and Daniel Miller.
- Monica tells us how she and her husband built her forge shop (as well as their home) from the ground up that is completely off the grid!
- Her shop has a power hammer, two forges, two fly presses, oxy-propane setup, a MIG welder, a Hossfeld bender and Bader grinder.
- Her business keeps her busy with mostly via word- of – mouth resulting in 5 to 7 commissions per year.
- Monica shares her pricing strategies –
- estimating the fabrication time
- the client’s budget
- her hourly shop rate
- the interest she has in making the piece
- Her standard design fee is around $200.
- Her “On the Bias” table Monica started with a drawing in which she wanted to introduce the more intricate connections like mortise and tenon’s on the corner of square stock. The table took six months to finish!
- We talk about her website and how it was built with Squarespace (which is around $14/mo). The pictures of her work on her website, www.monicacoyneartistblacksmith.com were taken by a mix of people; herself, a professional photographer and her brother.
- One of her favorite tools is a hammer made by Jim Austin. The face of the hammer has forge welded high carbon steel on it and the center of the hammer’s head is wrought iron!
Monica Coyne’s Links:
A Big Thank You to today’s sponsor – Pratt Fine Arts Center
If you enjoyed this episode, I would love it if you would support the show by:
·telling your friends.
· sharing this episode using the social sharing buttons below.
· subscribing to the show and leaving a rating and review in iTunes, here. Not sure how? Just follow these simple steps here or watch the short video tutorial, http://youtu.be/rq4OCyRGjHc?list=UUH3MfNZLXlKgionAs6kMT_Q
·subscribing to the show in Stitcher, http://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=54499&refid=stpr
Thanks so much for your support!