It’s episode number 96 and I have Caitlin Morris from Frederick, Maryland. Let me introduce her by reading her “about” web page from her http://www.mscaitlinsschool.com/ .
“Ms. Caitlin hangs out with the misfits and scallywags. She sings loudly and out of tune. She is partial to walks in the rain. But the most important thing is this: Caitlin loves blacksmithing.
The Vermont native runs Ms. Caitlin’s School of Blacksmithing in Maryland, which is dedicated to sharing the craft with as many unsuspecting people as possible. She also teaches at other schools up and down the east coast.”
We had a great interview discussing her background and some great info on scholarships, how she has secured a few and some tips on how you can.
What We Talked About
- Caitlin teaches blacksmithing at her own business “Miss Caitlin’s School of Blacksmithing” and at other educational institutions along the East coast of the US.
- Caitlin opened her school of blacksmithing in Frederick Maryland in 2015.
- Her blacksmith background began at the John C Campbell Folk School in 2009, her first class was taught by Matt Jenkins. She took a week’s vacation off from her day job to travel to the school for the week-long class.
- Soon after learning how to blacksmith Caitlin immediately started sharing her experience and teaching the craft to her friends. And so the journey of becoming a better teacher began then.
- Caitlin talks about the scholarships she has been granted to help with the financial aspects of taking a week-long blacksmith class.
- Her scholarship advice is to apply to as many as you can because this gives you the practice of writing about yourself and why you deserve a scholarship. Your verbiage will become refined through the process.
- One of her suggestions for metal sculpture inspiration is to look at the yearly “Metal Design International” books, they feature around 8 blacksmiths around the world.
- Her business website: http://www.mscaitlinsschool.com/
- Her facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/caitlinsmorris
If you enjoyed this episode, I would love it if you would support the show by:
- telling your friends.
- sharing this episode using the social sharing buttons below.
- subscribing to the show and leaving a rating and review in iTunes. Not sure how? Just follow these simple steps here or watch the short video tutorial, http://youtu.be/rq4OCyRGjHc?list=UUH3MfNZLXlKgionAs6kMT_Q
- subscribing to the show in Stitcher, http://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=54499&refid=stpr
Thanks so much for your support!